The Brixton Windmill Illustrated Art Print.by Eye for London Prints
The Brixton Windmill Art Print. An illustrated piece of London history.
The great black windmill stands alone, quietly hidden away from the claws of demolishers and developers of London. Sadly, the last survivor of it's kind in the city. This hidden gem is literally down the road from where I live, and I had to make this illustration!
In 2016, this grand old Brixton Windmill celebrated it's 200th birthday, and is still going strong. The stone ground wholemeal flour, made from local organically sourced wheat, can be bought in various local shops in Brixton.
After the war, there were proposals to demolish the mill and build a block of flats. The proposal was rejected and it was decided to conserve the mill, which was restored in 1964 by London County Council. New sails were fitted, and machinery from a derelict windmill at Burgh le Marsh, Lincolnshire installed to replace that which had been removed.
Windmills were once a familiar feature of London’s landscape and the most powerful machines of the pre-industrial world. Brixton Windmill is a tangible reminder to all Londoners of the close links that the capital had with agriculture and food production. As London expanded in the mid-19th century, building development overtook the agricultural land and fields of the borough, and most windmills were lost.
Stay strong dear Windmill, for many years to come!
Fine art Giclee Prints on Xpression smooth 300gsm thick paper available. (I love this, as the archival inks enhance the colours, on light texture) Reminds me a bit of the texture of concrete. (see last photo for Giclee texture ref)
Good to know:
- All prints dispatched within 7-8 working days.
- Shipping: Within UK : Royal Mail First class (1-2 Days Delivery after dispatch)
- If you want an expedited shipping, please message me for courier options.
- Rest of the World: 15-25 days after dispatch delivery by Royal Mail Tracked.
- International Shipping: Sometimes if deliveries were attempted and unsuccessful, the package is returned to the PO. Please look out for a delivery note.
- The prints are not framed. Please be aware that colours may vary slightly from what you see on your screen, depending on your monitor settings.