Excalibur Estate, Catford London - A Prefab Maze. Illustrated Poster Art Printby Eye for London Prints
Excalibur Estate in Catford South London - A Prefab Maze. Illustrated Poster Art Print
Size Guide: A5: 5.8 x 8.3in | A4: 8.27 x 11.69in | A3: 11.69 x 16.5in | A2: 16.5 x 23.4in | A1: 23.4 x 33.1in
Fine art Giclee Prints on 300gsm thick paper. I love this, as the archival inks enhance the colours, on light texture. (see last photo)
The Excalibur Estate is a post-war 1940s prefabricated housing estate in Catford, South London. For decades, residents of the Excalibur Estate, have been fighting against property developers and hostile local authorities to save their bungalows from demolition.
This fight has proven to be in vain. The council have proposed to demolish it and replace or “regenerate” the estate, claiming that it would be virtually impossible to bring them up to modern standards. Conservationists have fought to save the estate from demolition, which they claim is a unique surviving example of twentieth-century architecture.
For this illustration, I thought of juxtaposing a ever hungry pacman gobbling away bit by bit.
The prefabs were commissioned by Churchill from 1945-48 to solve the 'housing crisis' after the war. They were assembled in record time—each one took between eight hours and three days to build. One set an actual Guinness World Record, having been constructed in a mere 42 minutes. They were a national success: residents immediately loved them and strong communities grew out of this successful social housing scheme, which was only temporary and supposed to last 10 to 15 years.
Good to know:
- All prints dispatched in 10 business days.
- Shipping: Within UK : Royal Mail first Class (1-2 Days Delivery)
- Rest of the World: 10-15 days delivery by Royal Mail Tracked.
- International Shipping: Sometimes if deliveries were attempted and unsuccessful, the package is returned to the PO. And if still unclaimed, it gets sent back to the UK. I will try my best to trace, but I cannot be held responsible if delivery was missed. For this reason I provide a tracking code, which clearly indicates where the package is and if delivery was attempted. I request you keep track of the package every couple of days, as will I.
- The prints are not framed.
- Please be aware that colours may vary slightly from what you see on your screen, depending on your monitor settings.