David Bowie 'The Cape from Japan' Illustrated Art Print.
The man who fell to Earth has finally gone home, but he will live in our hearts forever. Not only is his music timeless, his contribution in the field of design cannot be underestimated.
The wearing of exotic, spacey, Japan-inspired outfits by Bowie-as-alien Ziggy Stardust put Japonism centre stage in the fashion scene of the West, placing a seal of approval on inspirations from Japan, which in the early ’70s was still considered an indecipherable, alien nation.
What do the letters on the cape mean? - Well, folklore has it that Bowie jokingly said that it meant "Get your potatoes here". However, each of the Chinese letters (Chinese letters were utilized in the Japanese language when Japan didn't have letters in ancient times) actually means (from upper to lower): "exit" or "out", "fire", "breath out" or "puke", "wild" or "riot", "force".
But as words they mean nothing! The letters should be pronounced (again upper to lower); "De" "Vi" (vi of video) "To" (to of tomato) "Bow" "I" and so they really read "David Bowie"! or alternately can be read as: "The man who vomits and fires out provocative words threatening violently"....
I really enjoyed designing the Bowie series of prints, listening to my favourite track 'Space Oddity' on loop!
From a graphic design pov, the Bowie Japanese costumes are my favourite. They are striking in colour and unique in form!
Fine art Giclee Prints on Xpression smooth 300gsm thick paper available. (I love this, as the archival inks enhance the colours, on light texture) Reminds me a bit of the texture of concrete. (see last photo for Giclee texture ref)
Good to know:
- All prints dispatched in 12 working days.
- Shipping: Within UK : Royal Mail First class (1-2 Days Delivery after dispatch)
- If you want an expedited shipping, please message me for courier options.
- Rest of the World: 15-25 days after dispatch delivery by Royal Mail Tracked.
- International Shipping: Sometimes if deliveries were attempted and unsuccessful, the package is returned to the PO. Please look out for a delivery note.
- The prints are not framed. Please be aware that colours may vary slightly from what you see on your screen, depending on your monitor settings.