Brutalist London : Southwyck House Brixtonby Eye for London Prints
Brutalist London : Southwyck House Brixton
A neo Brutalist Icon of Brixton, London.
Having moved to Brixton recently, I was inclided to illustrate the local landmarks. And the 'Barrier Block' fit really well in the Brutalist Series.
Southwyck House, SW9 is known locally as the Barrier Block and presents a daunting edifice on Coldharbour Lane.
The block's layered construction towers over the street outside, with the horseshoe-shaped structure giving the appearance of a medieval fortress. The windows are uncomfortable tiny, giving a feeling of claustrophobia from the outside. It's harsh, neobrutalist-inspired architecture and concrete lines zig zagging through the length of the building, curling around the estate are a striking visual.
The Barrier Block was designed to protect the Somerleyton Estate from the inevitable pollution and traffic noise, which explains its tiny windows and unusual 'zig-zag' design - this was intended to 'bounce' the sound back to the ground.
Surprisingly once you enter the estate, the flats themselves look well laid out with large balconies, a stark contrast to it's prison like exterior and pigeon hole windows. After illustrating the more popular Barbican and Trellick towers, I wanted to take a building that is not so common but yet so unique in it's structure and design.
Fine art Giclee Prints on Xpression smooth 300gsm thick paper available. (I love this, as the archival inks enhance the colours, on light texture) Reminds me a bit of the texture of concrete. (see last pic for giclee ref)
Good to know:
- All prints dispatched within 6-8 working days.
- Shipping: Within UK : Royal Mail First class (1-2 Days Delivery after dispatch)
- If you want an expedited shipping, please message me for courier options.
- Rest of the World: 15-25 days after dispatch delivery by Royal Mail Tracked.
- International Shipping: Sometimes if deliveries were attempted and unsuccessful, the package is returned to the PO. Please look out for a delivery note.
- The prints are not framed. Please be aware that colours may vary slightly from what you see on your screen, depending on your monitor settings.