The Rio Cinema, Dalston by night. Illustrated Art Print.
The Rio cinema was designed by the cult architect FE Bromige in 1937. Till today the facade remains relatively unchanged. I love the signage at the front- the font very typical of Art Deco.
Hackney citizen: "Despite, or perhaps because of, its unusual façade, the Rio sits surprisingly well amongst the mish-mash of styles on Kingsland High Street. The curved chrome door handles catch the eye, evoking 50s sci-fi classics like The Day the Earth Stood Still, rather than the modern titles."
Dalston’s local community continues to be well represented by the Rio. London’s Turkish film festival began here. The bus stop outside the building was renamed as 'Rio Cinema' in 2012 after thousands of people successfully petitioned Transport for London.
Local people were warned to 'use it or lose it' as box office revenues declined in 2013. Over £4000 was raised, and the cinema seems determined to live on.
The building itself though beautiful is quite unassuming during the day, you might pass by without notice... but at night it will stop you in your tracks. The lighting is splendid.
Fine art Giclee Prints on 300gsm thick paper available. (I love this, as the archival inks enhance the colours, on light texture) Reminds me a bit of the texture of concrete. (see last photo for Giclee texture ref)
Good to know:
- All prints dispatched within 7-8 working days.
- Shipping: Within UK : Royal Mail First class (1-2 Days Delivery after dispatch)
- If you want an expedited shipping, please message me for courier options.
- Rest of the World: 15-25 days after dispatch delivery by Royal Mail Tracked.
- International Shipping: Sometimes if deliveries were attempted and unsuccessful, the package is returned to the PO. Please look out for a delivery note.
- The prints are not framed. Please be aware that colours may vary slightly from what you see on your screen, depending on your monitor settings.